Sunday, February 9, 2014

A Me Date


The other day, I took myself on a me date to a small town outside of Huelva called Palos de la Frontera. It is another one of the small towns around here thats claim to fame is how Christopher Columbus spent time there and sailed out from around there. I knew there wasn't much to see in this town, but I wanted to take myself on a little trip and walk around leisurely, and that's just what I did.
The town was quaint. The center was very small, I walked around for almost two hours, wandering random streets and sitting to rest in small squares and plazas here and there. Like most small Spanish towns, there were a lot of pretty balconies with hanging potted plants and cool tile decorations. I am still charmed by the white and beige geometry that is the architecture of Spanish towns in Andalusia. All of the houses and apartments are painted white to reflect the sun and keep the insides cooler. Generally, everything is rectangular and palm trees sprig up in plazas and along streets. Some people find this monotonous, but its so different from what I'm used to that it seems exotic and interesting to me.

The highlight of Palos is definitely the church. It's old, and supposedly Columbus spent time there. The church's steeple bell tower is checkered blue and some storks have made their nests up there. I sat on the stone wall in front of the church for a while. The church is on the edge of town and beyond it the land slopes downward so you get a great view of the fields that surround the town for miles. I usually forget how much a miss farms and countryside until I see them again. Although definitely significantly different, this landscape reminded me of the views of sunny quiet farms back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment